A GlyphsApp plugin
Variable Fonts are the next big thing in (web) typography. So next and so big, that their potential isn’t even fully discovered by designers. What is clear already is that they bring incredible new opportunities do design and web experiences. Along with those new chances come challenges for the type designers who create v-Fonts:
Juggling with crazy, unprecedented master setups and keeping all possible outcomes with variable axes in sight became a mind-boggling and sheer unsolvable task. Until now!
With this GlyphsApp plug-in you can now immediately
- Live preview of any variable font setting without exporting any font files.
- Preview the content of your Edit Tab as well as your current glyph.
- See the masters involved in the current interpolation.
- Easily spot interpolation issues that can be hard to find otherwise.
- Glyph swapping (»bracket trick« layers) can be previewed.
- Works with ordinary Multiple Master fonts as well.
- Huge (10k+ glyphs) fonts are no problem at all.
- Show/hide the nodes of the interpolation.
- Quickly set sliders to your masters or instances.
- Make an instance from current slider setup.
- Preview virtual masters.
Mac OS 10.13: or higher will work.
Mac OS 10.12: I got a version for this at hand. Let me know if you need it!
Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan): not supported.
Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite): not supported.
Get it here:
- Rewritten from scratch in Objective-C
- New Feature: Add Virtual Master Support
- New Feature: Option to center drawn glyph
- New Feature: Enter your values in the Slider Label. Change Values with Arrow Keys (Shift/Cmd+Shift for 10/100 steps)
- You can extrapolate through doing so, the label text will color to indicate that an extrapolation is happening
- Streamlined UI:
- + Only sliders for the existing axes are shown. Give you more space in your edit view
- + Buttons are now hidden and reformed into a right click context menu. You won't access to them too often, so that declutters the panel
- Panel doesn't detach from window anymore when the caret is at the end of a line. (However it will still fail to live update the preview in that caes, due to the Glyphs API)
- New Feature: Nodes in preferences size
- New Feature: Display involved Masters (Beta)
- New Feature: Dial in any of your font’s instances
- New Feature: Right-To-Left Support (Beta)
- BugFix: Update Sliders on Axes change
- BugFix: Update Sliders on Axes Values Change (in Master settigns)
- Add support for right to left (RTL).
- Add optional display of nodes. Default: On.
- Add optional display of lines along which the nodes go (delta directions). Default: Off
- Fix not responding or laggy color changes.
- Fix blurry controlls. They should be crisp now.
- Fix non-working drag Preview to resize. (Could be broken now for older Glyphs builds than around 1184).
- Changed views architecture for Glyphs build up from 1184.
- Performance is smooth again in Glyphs build up from around 1184 (Mac OS Mojave).
- Runs smooth with any amount of open fonts now.
- Sliders update immediately now when you change your values in font info.
- Slider No.6 does do its job now.
- Does not work on Mac OS El Capitan (10.11.6) nor on Yosemite (10.10.5). Only tested on Mac OS High Sierra (macOS 10.12+)
Please look out for the *Beta* tags.
Those features are in development and could produce unpredicted results.
These will be solved in future updates:
- In certain setups the preview can be a bit more forgiving than the *actually exported font*. Meaning it shows nice interpolations which might not be accessible in the real font. This is due to the GlyphsApp API and I am working on improvent.
- For the time being of GlyphsApp 2, you are limited to 6 axes for now.
- No kerning yet. Planned to be implemented.